Thinking About Residential Treatment for Your Eating Disorder?
You Rock! Let me be the first to commend you on your strength and courage. There is a beautiful sense of relief that is experienced with the acceptance and admittance of your Eating Disorder.
The next step, of course, is to seek ED Treatment.
Now shit gets real.
Residential level of care for ED can be extremely frightening, especially if it is your first time. I remember my first time. I was scared to death! I literally thought my parents were turning me over to a crazy hospital. I was scared to be around “people with real issues” not “normal people,” such as myself. HAHA. Clearly my brain had, at that point, stopped functioning.
Stepping in the door and not knowing what to expect … I was a nervous wreck.
Expecting the worst, I was actually pleasantly surprised to see the apartment-like settings. Everything was cozy and relaxed. The best part was the current residents. Everyone was laughing, smiling… genuinely OK from first glance. Best of all… everyone seemed fairly “normal” – in a sense that it wasn’t some insane asylum or anything else I was having nightmares about! All these girls seemed, well.. just like me!?
Statistically, eating disorders target some of the smartest and hardest working people. ED’s gateway is typically opened by anxiety, and anxiety is forward-thinking (panicing about the future). Therefore, many victims of ED are high acheivers – perfectionists like me.
When I walked into Walden Eating Disorders Care: Residential Program, those were the people I was greeted by. A community of overachievers – IVY League College Students, Writers, Entrepreneurs, Advocates… you name it. I felt comforted.
So I promise you… Residential Treatment will be tough as hell… but its not scary. You will face many emotional and physical challenges… but Resi wants to heal you.
- Comfy, cozy environment. Lots of Self-soothing and relaxation. Residential has the ability to turn the switch off on your busy stressful life. All you have to do is show up, put your ED Recovery first, and heal.
- 24/7 Guidance and Support. Including Therapists, Nurse Practitioners, and Dietitians.
- Community of Residents. You are no longer trying to recovery on your own. You are finally surrounded by a group that knows EXACTLY what you are going through. They literally FEEL YOUR PAIN.
- Plenty of education on Mindfulness, Self-Awareness, Distress Tolerance, etc. These are tools that everyone should know… you just happen to be learning them though the Residential Program. These groups and tools can be applied in all of life’s circumstances, and they give you a head start in the world.
- Passes. You can leave on passes to challenge yourself in real life situations. Its important to step outside of treatment for a few hours and see your challenges before reentering the real world permanently. Best part is, you come back to the resi program at night and work out ways to tackle those challenged with your team and your community.
- Judgment-free zone. No more suffering in silence. No more secrets.Open up and you will pleasantly surprised at just how similar these people are to you!
- Education. Learn how ED effects your body, your mind, and the ones you love.
If you have any questions at all on Residential Treatment… please reach out to me or leave a comment below! I would love to help calm your mind from fears of recovery. I am also in the process of creating a Resource page for Eating Disorder Treatment Resources, so Check back soon!